Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ghanian Wedding

Let me be the first to say that I am terribly sorry for the delay in blogging! Who would have known it would be so hard to find the time to blog?? 
Well, as you can imagine, a lot has happened since my last post. I'm adjusting more and more every day and that feels great. 
Last year, Emily, Jordan and I were invited to a wedding but unfortunately time was not on our side and were were not able to attend. So, when Jordan and I got invited to a wedding, I was more than excited! I wanted to see what Ghanaian weddings are like. 
What was even better was the couple getting married were some of our friends that we had met last year when we came to Ghana. Seth and Akua are great for each other and it was nice to celebrate their special day with them.
Now, their wedding was not all that different from American weddings. It was just looooooong. And any of you that know Ghanaian culture at all would not be surprised by this! They run on a different kind of time :)
Akua looked beautiful in her wedding gown which was made by Joyce her sister-in-law. And Joyce is the one who made all of my Ghanaian clothing and purses that I brought back to the US. She is extremely talented. I am in the process of getting more dresses made as well as curtains for my room. But that is just a side note.
The wedding was done in Twi, the local language here, and Jordan and I opted out of having a translator. Not because we didn't want to know what was going on, but sometimes it just draws attention to us, and for the translators sake...we wanted him to enjoy the wedding as well.
The only major differences were, the sermon was very long, and the bridal party sits down most of the time instead of standing up, and other than that, it was very comparable.
After the wedding we went to Elder Opong's house (the father of Akua) for the reception. WOW, was this something fancy or what! They had tables and chairs set up all over their compound, decorated very nice, a special table for the wedding party, the cake was beautiful and the number of people was plenty! Again, not so different than wedding receptions in America. We had a nice time, and enjoyed our first experience with a Ghanaian wedding. Next on the list...funeral. Not to be morbid or anything....
Speaking of which, I asked my assistant what people in Kumasi like to do for fun on the weekends, and one of her answers was "going to funeral." So...that is something I have yet to do, but once I do, don't worry, I will tell you all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment