Saturday, October 9, 2010

Borne by God, Bearer of a Burden

Amos
Origin: Hebrew
Meaning: Borne by God, Bearer of a Burden

I'm dedicating this post to my good friend Amos. Amos has been following my blog and has even been marking (grading) each of my posts! He is sometimes hard to please when it comes to grading. Let's see what this post will get.....

I met Amos last year when Jordan, Emily and I came to Kumasi for the first time. He works at the Ghana Bible College, attends church at Bomso and lives right near the compound. So, it is easy to say that Amos was always around when we were here last year. He also ended up being our translator most of the time. Amos would accompany us on some of our trips to orphanages, he went with us to bible classes, we visited him in his office and surely there was probably not a day that would go by where we didn't see Amos and spend time talking to him.
Amos quickly became one of our best friends in Kumasi. He has such a good sense of humor and can always make you laugh. Sometimes, I don't even think he knows that he is funny! But he can bring a smile to your face. Another thing that I love about Amos, is the way HE himself laughs! He has a laugh that no matter what, will also make you laugh. It is contagious, and such a great quality.
Last year when I left Kumasi, Amos was someone who I knew I would miss greatly. The talks that we had, the time we spent together, the things that I learned from him were all aspects that I would miss when I went back to the US. Luckily, Amos and I were able to keep in touch while I was in the US and looking back, it was a huge blessing.
As most of you know, when I returned home from Ghana last year, I started to think about more long term possibilities in Ghana for the future. Amos and I talked much about this and he was the one who helped me the most. He was always quick to offer help, to pray for me, to advise me, to support me and to be a brother in Christ for me. I honestly think, that if it wasn't for Amos, I would not be sitting here in Ghana, Africa right now writing this post.
When I knew for sure that I would be coming to Ghana again, I was more than excited to see Amos and continue our friendship. 
In this past year, a lot has changed in Amos' life. Soon after we left last year, Amos got married and not too long after that he announced that he and his wife were expecting a baby. The baby boy is due late October or early November. Throughout the changes in Amos' life, he has remained a faithful friend. I can count on him for anything, I trust him, respect him, cherish him, and I am so thankful for him.
I have noticed that this is just who Amos is. He isn't just a good friend to me...he is a good friend to everyone. I have watched his interactions with others and realize that he is truly a man of God, BORNE BY GOD. His name fits him perfectly...right??
Amos: You truly are an example of how we should all live our lives. You put others before yourself in everything you do. You are quick to help, and to listen. I see Jesus in you. I respect you and look up to you. You have been a good friend to me and I thank God every day for you.

It is my prayer that we all, myself included, can learn to be a little more like Amos.

Blessings and love to you all.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you and Jordan are having a great time at Village of Hope! How's the quiet times going? Hopefully you're not too overwhelmed with your first year of teaching...especially with the extra challenges of being in another culture. We're praying for you both!
    Love, Kurt

    ReplyDelete