Saturday, October 9, 2010

SLC and Birthdays...what a combination!

Of course, it has been quite a while since my last post. I think that every day I become more and more busy. How does that happen?????
Well, it's hard to believe that I am about to be in my 8th week of school. The time has flown by so quickly. I wish it would slow down! In a week we have SLC (Student Led Conferences) and I have been a busy little bee getting everything ready for that...and no, I'm not finished getting ready either. Despite all the work that goes into making SLC a success, I am really excited about SLC. It will be the first time that I get to meet most of the parents. Parent/Teacher relationship is incredibly important to me. Parents and teachers work together to help make the child not only successful in the classroom, but at home and in life. It is my job as a teacher to foster this success. Also, it is just fun getting to meet the parents of your students...it can explain a lot about a student!! Another thing that I am looking forward to is getting feedback from the parents. I am eager to know what they are thinking, the things they like and the things they do not like, things that are going well and things that need to be improved. This is the way that everyone involved can work together to make a successful learning environment. I see parents as my partners in teaching. SLC is on the 18th of October. I have this next week to get everything prepared and ready for it. Please be in prayer about this, that everything will go smoothly and be a success. Although I am excited about this, I have been more than busy and I know as the time gets closer I will be a little nervous too! I would greatly appreciate the prayers!
An update on my students:
Things have been going well, and I think all my students are finally getting use to the fact that obroni (white person) is teaching them. There isn't so much hype anymore and I am really happy about that. On the last Friday of every month we get to celebrate the children's birthdays! So, on the last Friday of September, we were able to celebrate Glen's birthday. He just turned 7 and is one of the brightest students in my class. I couldn't believe he was turning 7....I was certain that he must at least be turning 8! Glen is so calm and collected, does his work neat and well, and what I like best about Glen is he is always ready and willing to help other students learn. After he has finished his work he will come to me and say, "Ms. Johnson, may I please go and help Richard. I promise not to tell him the answers but to help him learn." (I have been really working with my students on not telling each other the answers or copying because that only puts a hindrance on that child, they are only crippling that child, instead, HELP the child learn, help him/her find the answer and work together.) I loved getting to celebrate Glen's birthday in class as did the other students. He brought drinks, candy and biscuits for everyone! Glen is on his way to great things and I am privileged to have him in my class!
 Sorry for the glare on the chalk board!
  Glen with his goodies and friends at the birthday table!
  Me and the Birthday Boy!

Also, it was my assistant's birthday on the 29th of September. She wanted Jordan and I and 2 other teachers from school to go out with her. She took us to Sir Max's hotel. It is owned by some Lebanese people. Anyway, we went and ate at their restaurant. WOW! This is just what I needed. I couldn't stop looking at the menu. EVERYTHING...EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING sounded delicious. It was such a nice change from eating rice rice rice. I got a salad...and if know me in the slightest bit...you know that I LOVE SALAD....SALAD IS MY FAVORITE FOOD! hahaha. Well, I got a mouth watering, to die for in Africa salad and then a pita type thing with steak. It melted in my mouth. Needless to say...I think Jordan and I will be making a few trips back to Sir Max's for some good quality, mouth watering, delectable food!
p
I hope and pray that all of you are doing very fine. I think of yall often. Please continue to pray for me and my students.
Blessings and love to you all,
Ms. Johnson

1 comment:

  1. Jennifa! I love reading your blog (and Jordan's too :) I can't wait to see you in December. You guys be making a list of things you need. It will be a Merry Christmas for sure! Love you, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete