Monday, August 16, 2010

A Little Catch Up

Well, since I last wrote, so much has happened and it has only been a few days! I have a feeling that this is how this whole experience will be...and I'm ready for it!

We traveled by bus from Accra to Kumasi on Thursday.  We left Accra around noon and did not get into Kumasi until about 9 in the evening. No, it does not usually take 9 hours to travel from Accra to Kumasi. Normally, it will take around 4 to 5. The traffic and the actual "roads" are what slowed us down. SOOO, moral of the story: someone, please remind me never to complain about traffic in the US again!! When we finally arrived in Kumasi on Thursday evening, I thought that I would be going to the school so that I could move into the apartment. But, there were other plans in store. The apartment was not yet ready, and the staff was not yet back to the school, so I was told that I would be staying with a family whose children attend ICS. I was picked up by the father and brought to a what I thought was a BIG house. But, it was not his house, it was a hotel. I was confused. He told me that he has some other guests in his house now, and that it would be best if I stayed in the hotel. So, here I am, living in yet another hotel in Ghana! Never thought that would happen. It is very nice, comfortable, safe, and has free wireless internet!! I'll be staying here until Wednesday or Thursday of this week and then I can move into my apartment at my school. OH, speaking of my school...

I visited ICS(International Community School) today!!!!!!!!!! (That's the new school that I will be teaching and living at). Anyways, this morning, Jordan and I were eating breakfast and one of the receptionists came into the dinning hall and said that there were 2 men here for me. I wasn't expecting anyone, Jordan wasn't expecting anyone...hmm, who could it be? Well, we went to meet them, and found out that they were sent by Dr. Yeboah(the head of ICS) to come and pick us up and take us to the school to have a tour and to familiarize ourselves with our new home! So, Jordan and I went. It was about a 15 minutes drive from our hotel to the school, it is just right outside of Kumasi. You get the feeling of seclusion and quietness, but yet it is only a few minutes drive to get back into the city. I felt so excited when we turned into the schools premises. It is a pretty big place and very nice. I was able to see a few of the primary school classrooms, the boarding house for the students as well as the teacher's apartments. We passed by the secondary school classrooms, science labs, art rooms, libraries, dinning hall, soccer fields, basketball and tennis courts. It was all so nice and it was an even better feeling to finally be able to see what I have been working towards for the last 9 months! We will be going back to the school tomorrow for staff meetings. I'm really, really excited about my new job, new home, new experiences, new opportunities and learning from all of it.

On another note...whoever said that friends make the world a better place was absolutely right on target. I have been so blessed by my friendships all around the world. God has given me some of the best friends a girl could ask for. There are no words to even describe how it feels to be reunited with friends that you haven't seen for over a year. That is what Jordan and I have mostly been getting to do since we have arrived in Ghana. I'm so thankful for my friends that I have in Ghana, they have become my family, and I honestly don't know what I would do without them. I'm excited that I get to spend the next year with them, get to know them better and to make memories that will last a life time. I'm also looking forward to all the new friendships that will be made!

Ok, ok ok, one last note and then I promise I will be done. 
Last year when I was in Kumasi I attended the Bomso church of Christ and so that was the church I wanted to attend this year. So, on Sunday, Jordan and I went to church there. Walking in the compound where the church and Bible College are, I just couldn't help but smile. I was so happy to be back, and part of it feels just like home. It was nice to be at a familiar place and nice to see familiar faces. The thing that I love about Bomso is their worship. I have never been in a church where the people sing so loudly to honor and praise God. The singing alone will make you want to come back! It is such a moving experience to see so many people pour out their hearts to God through song. I wish that the churches I have attended in the US could learn from the hearts and attitudes of the Bomso congregation. I know that I have been moved and changed every time I am there. Bomso is a very welcoming and loving environment and I know that it has and it will bless my life in many ways.

Please, continue to pray for me as I am here. School will open on the 23rd of August, so it is just around the corner. I thank God for what He is doing in my life, all the praises and thanks go to Him!

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine..."

No comments:

Post a Comment