Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New Experiences

Just as I predicted, so much has happened since I last wrote that I don't even know where to begin! 

God teaches me something new every single day, and every day I am reminded why I am here and why I love Ghana. I'm so thankful that God uses people and things to speak to us.

Jordan and I moved into our new apartments on Friday. Jordan...who brought only one bag lives on the first floor, and me...who brought 4 bags and then some lives on the fourth floor. The only thing I can say is THANK GOD for Ghanaian men who carried and I might add, on their heads, my four 50 pound suitcases up 4 floors and into my room! WOW! I was impressed. I am still getting settled into my apartment. Slowly but surely it is coming along. My roommate's name is Georgina and she is the French teacher for the primary school. She has been welcoming and making my transition much easier! I will be posting pictures of my apartment once it all comes together...so be looking out for those!

We had a great weekend. Spent a lot of time with friends from the Bomso Church of Christ. Jordan and I really enjoy getting to see them. They take good care of us, take us around town and are ALWAYS so willing to help us out when we needed it. The weekend went by toooooo fast and before I knew it, it was Sunday evening...the night before the first day of school! Oh goodness, I was just like a little kid before their first day of school. I was nervous one minute and excited the next minute. Needless to say, I didn't get very much sleep on Sunday night. I woke up on Monday and had the BIGGEST butterflies in my stomach. I kept questioning what I was doing, how did it happen, what I was going to do! God...Am I REALLY over in Africa?? Am I really about to teach 7 year olds for at least the next year?? Wait....are you sure?? I had all these thoughts going through my mind, I couldn't even think clearly. Before I left my apartment, I pulled out a journal that had been given to me at our going away party. In this journal, so many dear people wrote blessings and words of encouragement. I read through many of them and had a sense of peace that came over me. This is just one way that God uses people to speak to us. At that moment, I remembered why I was here, I remembered why God put this passion in my heart, I remembered why I am pursuing this passion, it brought light to me and it felt so good! 

So....my first day of teaching in Africa was a success. I have 32...yes, 32 students enrolled in my class. 12 were absent on the first day. If I end up having more than 25 students, they will spilt the 2 year 3 classes and have 3 year 3 classes. That sounds a bit confusing. The point is, if I have more than 25 students then there is a possibility of them making another class which would cut my students down some. I'll let you know what happens! 
We spent the first day getting to know each other and asking questions. They are so interested in me and where I come from and they are full of questions! I love that they are so eager to learn and know more and more about life. 
So....my immaturity might be showing a little bit in this next story. So, I was very thrown off when on the first day, one of my students came to me and asked if he could "wee wee". I said, "I'm sorry, can you do what?" He whispered again to me, "May I go wee wee?" OHHHHHHH, yes...wee wee...sure, you can go! Don't worry everyone, I have had several ask me if they can go poo poo too! I'm sure I will get use to it, but I'm not going to lie...it did throw me for a loop at first! I will write more about my class, my students, my teaching experiences and life here in Ghana as it comes. I'm so excited about this year, I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for me, for my class and for all of us at ICS!

I encourage all of you to find the different ways that God speaks to you and THANK Him for that! God is good all the time and all the time God is good. AMEN!

Blessings and love

No comments:

Post a Comment